25 Art Journal Prompts
- Journal a page about the things that you love
- Fill an entire page full with doodles
- Close your eyes and think about how you are feeling. Create a page based on it.
- Pick a quote and design a double page spread around it
- Use your junk mail to create a collage background in your journal page.
- Write a letter to your younger self. Create a page around it.
- Draw or paint a large heart in the middle of a page and fill it with things that are close to your own heart.
- Journal a page about things that make you laugh and smile
- Write down five of your core belief. Pick one and base a page around it.
- Take a book from your book shelf, open it at any random page and zone in on a sentence. Illustrate it.
- Pick one colour and fill a page with only that colour.
- Create a page with just fabric. This can include ribbons, lace + trim too.
- Construct a page that has to incorporate glitter in it somewhere.
- Take a piece of your favourite broken or outdated jewellery and adhere it into your next art journal page.
- Set a goal and create a page about how it would feel to reach that goal. What colours will you use?
- Texture, texture, texture! Create a page that is packed full of all different kinds of texture.
- Find a poem and take inspiration from it to create your next page.
- Fill a page with positive words. You could hand write them, cut them from magazines or print them from your PC.
- Pick a photo of yourself that you really like and stick it into the middle of one of your art journal pages. Surround the photo with words and phrases that represent you. Alternatively, you could write about the attributes that you really admire in yourself or the things that make you who you are.
- Create an image outline with string or wool. Hot glue works well for this.
- Use wax crayons and watercolours to create a resist technique.
- Paint a page in different shades of the same colour.
- Use something metal in your next page.
- Bring the current season into your art journal page, an orange leaf from Autumn, fake snow for Winter, sand for Summer, a picture of birds for Spring? Whatever represents that season for you, use that.
- Incorporate a number or series of numbers that have some significance to you into a page and then journal around it.
These are really only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to art journalling. I know I use this phrase probably I little too often when it comes to creating but, it's so true - the possibilities are endless.
I am going to follow this list myself and post up the pages regularly. It is gonna be so much fun, I can't wait to get started :)
Feel free to save this list and print it out. Stick it in the front of your journal or on a pinboard where you can see it and work off it whenever you need a prompt.
I hope you enjoyed this post and are feeling sufficiently inspired and ready to create in your art journal!
Leave a comment and let me know if you have used any of these prompts. Do you have any prompts to suggest? I would love to hear them!!