Wednesday 17 July 2013

Summer Days + Art Journal Pages

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share with you what I have been up to this last while. I don't feel like I have been pushing myself as hard as I had been lately and I think it is because of the weather. We are having extreme weather at the moment! ( Extreme for UK). The temps are up in the late 20s/early 30s most days now and while it is absolutely gorgeous and such a relief to finally get a Summer for once, it doesn't make the best weather to work in. I mean, I love to create, it's what I do and I do it everyday and I always will but when the sun is splitting the stones and the sky is blue, blue, BLUE all I want to do is go out in it, sit on the grass and sip cold coffees and read a book. And then when I come in from baking in the sun........ I nap. This carry on does not a successful business make.

However, I have managed to create a little. I have been working in some NEW art journals that I picked up in town at the weekend.



I picked these up in an old book shop that sells vintage + antique books. It only cost £7 for the two of them and they felt nice and sturdy, with wide spines and good quality paper. I am yet to decide what way I would like to alter the covers. I kind of like the colours of this one and the image of the man on it so I might try to incorporate that into it when I alter it.


I have only managed to complete a few pages so far but what I have done I quite like. For this two page spread I made a little tile using my Ranger Melt Art Pot, Inkssentials Memory Glass and a printed image of some of my artwork. I will be doing a blog post on the Melt Art Pot soon, it's a really fun piece of equipment.


I used Gesso on most pages but left a few raw which leaves this really cool text underneath my work.
As you can see, I have a bit of a thing for corrugated cardboard lately. It's so versatile, you can stamp it, stencil it, use it as a dimensional piece, cut it into any shape. And it's so cheap, in some cases it's free! Like all the best art supplies ;) 






I created this mini canvas trio last week and I love how it turned out! I think the colour scheme works really well, it has a summery, happy, bright feel. I'm also a little amazed that I managed to incorporate so many different elements into this project despite how small the canvases are (they measure 5'x7" approx) I included paper, fibres, buttons, ribbon, clay and wire into these canvases. 

I haven't included this piece of art into my shop + I'm not sure if I will. I did ask a few people on Facebook if they would be interested in seeing similar projects to this available in my shop and the response was good so imagine canvases these size will be included in my shop in the near future. But as for these ones.....I think I might keep them for myself ;)

So that is what I have been up to lately. I am also working on a huge commission piece daily and some other bits and bobs.

I hope you are all making time to be creative while still enjoying this amazing weather we are getting. Don't forget to check back tomorrow for Treasury Thursday for a little inspiration.

Please help me support a great cause, the Wexford Able Disabled Club, by taking part in the SILENT AUCTION I am holding on Facebook now. Follow this link to find out how to enter.

Take care

Ciara 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...