Tuesday 14 May 2013

May You Be: Strong

Mixed Media Canvas - "Be Strong"


Hi everyone!


Here is the post, as promised, showing off my latest mixed media canvas - "Be Strong". 

I created this piece on a 20 x 38 cm canvas that I used in a landscape format. I started by covering the canvas in scrapbooking paper along with other patterned and book papers. 



I tried out two new ideas on this canvas with which I got very interesting results. The first new technique I used on this canvas is with the wording "Be Strong".  I used chipboard letters and adhered them to the canvas and then used them as a mask or a stencil to leave an impression of the words after I lifted them away.





The other new element I tried out was home-made modelling paste. This stuff is an amazing revelation in my life! And so easy to make. I won't take credit for this recipe, I discovered it on Luvleescrappin's channel on Youtube. She is a fantastic crafter/artist that I have great admiration for. She also gives some great money saving tips for your craft-room/art studio which, for any artist, is a great help because as we know art supplies can be quite expensive. Especially with mixed media because our palette is so unlimited!

Anyway I'm babbling here. As I said I followed her recipe on making home-made modelling paste which is basically a mixture of baby powder, gesso and white glue. You can click on her name above to follow the tutorial video and to get the exact measurements that she uses but I found that if you just start off with the wet ingredients first (you can gauge how much of the liquids you will need by the batch size that you want to make) and then start to add the baby powder slowly a bit at a time, mixing well as you go to avoid clumps and lumps, you will eventually reach a consistency that you are happy with. 
And that is another advantage of making your own paste, you can make is as thick or as thin as you like or you can make it gritty or smooth, or you can even colour it by adding acrylic paint, inks, stains or dyes! I added a small amount of gloss medium to the mixture (this was not in the original recipe) because I was concerned that the white glue I was using wouldn't be strong enough to harden the paste enough when it dried and also I thought it would be nice to have a slight sheen to it.

Anyway, I hope you like my new piece, it will appeal to those who need to bring a bit of colour into their lives. It will be available in my etsy shop to purchase in the next few days. 

Here is a list of the supplies that I used on this projects:

  • 20 x 38 cm stretched canvas
  • Desert Bloom 8 x 8 paper pad by First Edition Paper
  • Book paper
  • Various scrap paper from my stash such as postage marks, labels etc
  • Crafter's Acrylic by DecoArt in "Antique White"
  • Crafter's Acrylic by DecoArt in "Dark Turquoise"
  • Non-branded red acrylic paint
  • Crawford + Black acrylic paint in "Lemon Yellow"
  • Home-made modelling paste
  • Tim Holtz Distress Stain in "Squeezed Lemonade"
  • Daler Rowney Acrylic Artist Ink in "Black 028"
  • Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in "Butterscotch"
  • Staz On solvent ink in "Black"
  • Clear embossing powder from Papermania
  • EMBOSS Embossing stamp pad from Hobbycraft
  • Stamps from Hobbycraft
  • Rub-ons from my stash
  • Chipboard letters from my stash
  • Twine from my stash
  • Metal key trinket which I purchased  from eBay
  • Black button from my stash
  • Black Sharpie fine-tip marker
  • Winsor + Newton Gloss Medium
If you have any questions about the supplies I used or any other queries about this canvas please feel free to leave a comment below or send me an email.


I hope you have a beautiful + creative day

Ciara
xoxo











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...